Tuesday, August 27, 2013

"Why Red?" A Tale of a Dark-Skinned Redhead

There seems to be this unwritten rule that says dark-skinned black women and girls can not wear red hair. I've always loved red hair and dabbled in it a little. I've worn different types of red and black weave. I've dyed a few strips of my hair red but never dared to cross that line because (I and many others thought) I was simply "too dark." Colorism is real in these streets!

As I get older and continue to grow, I realize my hair is my own and the only important opinion is mines. The only thing that matters is how I feel when I look in the mirror. So lots of bleach, a protein treatment and two small tubes of "Raging Red" I was on my Rih Rih.



 Of course I didn't come to this conclusion on my own. It took some major support from amazing people in my life and inspiration from beautiful black women who dared to break the unwritten red rule. And of course the internet,  FuckYeahFamousblackGirls posted a collage featuring beautiful Black women of every shade rocking the bold color. I was so inspired!
link

Youtube makeup guru Destiny Godley gets it.
video link

Dying my hair red was a decision I made and one I don't regret. I love my hair, I feel beautiful and that's all that matters. Although I love my hair there will always be people who try to push me off my cloud nine. I received a text from a "friend" that said my hair was "too red." Normally that would have ruined my confidence and made me second-guess why I just did this to my hair.  I'm not playing it safe anymore and listening to how people think I should live my life. I'm not living by the unwritten rules of black women. And I'm damn sure not sticking to earth tones anymore! If you ever thought about doing any type of change in your life, if it's for the better then just go for it. We only have one life to live, let's not limit ourselves. Your body is yours to do what makes you happy. Stay beautimous!!!


-Brooks

No comments:

Post a Comment